- Location cyprus, nicosia
- Experience 2 Years
- Position Others
- Industry for the position Research
- Company THE CYPRUS INSTITUTE
Remote Sensing/Imaging Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) (ref. no. STARC_PDF_21_01)
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centres, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with International leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
In order to further extend its research activities in the field of heritage protection and monitoring through UAV-based systems and to further develop new aerial imaging applications in the field of surveillance to prevent looting and illegal archaeological excavations, the Cyprus Institute accepts applications for a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Remote Sensing with experience in data acquisition, live data streaming and processing of aerial remote sensing data.
The successful candidate will engage in a wide range of activities, focusing on the implementation of new remote sensing data collection methodologies collected through aerial platforms both in the 2D and 3D domain and with a different array of sensors. Additionally, the successful candidate will collaborate on the optimization and development of algorithms for UAV flight data planning, streaming of real-time data, and on-board decentralized processing. He/she will participate in test flights, deployment, and demonstrations of UAVs; collaborate in hardware development with other lab’s team members; and participate in field campaign in Cyprus and abroad.
This position is supported by the RIF CPU_0619_0060 project SHIELD (Safeguard Heritage in Endangered Looted Districts) funded through the Joint Programming Initiative on Cultural Heritage (JPICH).
SHIELD Project aims at designing and building an artificially intelligent Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) to patrol archaeological and heritage sites using the latest technologies in imaging techniques, live data streaming, decentralized (on-board) processing, Machine Learning, and flight data management.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Research and Development Team of the USRL under the supervision of the SHIELD Project Leader.
- Implementation of new remote sensing data collection methodologies for the identification of looting activities
- Optimization and development of algorithms for UAV flight data planning for archaeological sites surveillance
- Optimization and development of algorithms for real-time data streaming and onboard decentralized processing for the identification on illegal excavations
- Assisting in the development of hardware components.
- Participating in scheduled Test Flights for the purpose of the development and optimization of the imaging systems.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- PhD in Electronic Engineering, Remote Sensing or similar
- 2-year experience after completion of PhD
- Experience in applications for terrain reconstruction using aerial imaging (2D and 3D).
- Integration of Remote Sensing Data (Infrared, Visual, HyperSpectral, Multispectral, LIDAR) in GIS systems.
- Programming Skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and project planning skills.
- Excellent knowledge English language both verbal and written.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good Knowledge of Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge/Experience in Geometric representation
- Knowledge/Experience in Image processing
- Knowledge/Experience in 3D GIS
- Knowledge in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the 2D domain
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Dante Abate ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Contact person: Dante Abate Reference number: STARC_PDF_21_01