- Location cyprus, nicosia
- Experience 3 Years
- Position Others
- Qualification Doctorate Degree
- Industry for the position Higher Education
- Company THE CYPRUS INSTITUTE
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a non-profit research and educational institution with a strong scientific and technological orientation, emphasizing international collaborations, cross-disciplinary research, innovation, and post graduate education. CyI, through its established research centers, addresses challenging issues that are important at both the regional and international levels. Many of its research activities are being carried out in partnership with leading institutions in the respective thematic areas.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for new Associate Research Scientist (s) in Atmospheric Sciences at the CyI’s Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C).
The position(s) offer excellent possibilities for professional development of highly motivated individuals in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EMME-CARE” (Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East Climate and Atmosphere Research Centre; http://emme-care.cyi.ac.cy/; TEAMING Grant no. 856612), within which the Cyprus Institute established a “Centre of Excellence” in Climate and Atmosphere research for the EMME region in cooperation with EU Advanced Partners (Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Germany; University of Helsinki in Finland; and CEA in France).
Description of the Position
The successful candidate(s) will advance the CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda in its scientific focus areas (Environmental Observations and/or Predictions, Impacts and Policy) through experimental research, mathematical modelling, data analysis and numerical applications regarding atmospheric composition and climate change, and the impacts on society, notably on public health.
The successful candidate(s) will promote the overall scientific excellence of the Cyprus Institute in the EMME, Europe, and beyond, train young scientists to become international leaders, combine both research and innovation with strategic partners (Academia, Public stakeholders, Private partners) to develop new products/services at the closest of end-user needs.
The selected Associate Research Scientist(s) will conduct their research in CARE-C, a recently established research center of the Cyprus Institute composed by c.a. 80 research staff from more than 15 different nationalities, within a highly attractive working environment where English is the working language for both research and administration.
The successful candidate(s) are expected to support new research thrust with the highest international standards, leveraging CyI and CARE-C resources (45 million euros in the framework of EMME-CARE) and utilizing the highly competitive research facilities of the Cyprus Institute such as the “Cy-Tera” HPC (http://web.cytera.cyi.ac.cy/), the Unmanned System Research Laboratory (USRL, http://usrl.cyi.ac.cy), and the Cyprus Atmospheric Observatory (CAO, http://www.cyi.ac.cy/index.php/cao.html) which is part of international networks (WMO-GAW, EMEP, ACTRIS, TCCON).
The successful candidate(s) will support CARE-C’s research and innovation agenda by:
- Performing internationally competitive scientific research through experimental research, atmospheric observations, mathematical and computer modelling, contributing to data analyses and impact assessments in the area of air quality and climate change, with an emphasis on public health.
- Actively participating and ultimately leading world-class research program in atmospheric sciences using state-of-the-art experimental and modelling tools
- Initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
- Securing financial and other resources from national and international sources;
- .Communicating the results and implications of research conducted at CARE-C and The Cyprus Institute at all levels, including the academic community, the public at large and political and economic decision makers.
Required Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate(s) is (are) expected to be scholars of international standing with a minimum of three (3) years post-doctoral research experience with a PhD in a field relevant to CARE-C R&D activities.
They will have to demonstrate:
- An excellent track record of peer-review scientific publication in the top 10 journals of their field
- Participation in many international research programs and/or field campaigns
- Teaching/Mentoring young (Master/PhD) researchers
- A proven technical/scientific expertise in a specific experimental and/or modelling field of research
- Experience in raising funds from (inter)national competitive calls for research projects
- A minimum of 3-years post-doctoral research experience
The selected candidate(s) should:
- Have a demonstrated ability to work independently and the potential to become international leaders in their disciplines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills aimed at maintaining contacts in academic, business and governmental circles.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is a prerequisite.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard (http://jobboard.cyi.ac.cy/) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest and a list of three references (including contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF Format. For further information, please contact Jean Sciare ([email protected]). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the positions are filled.
Contact person: Jean Sciare Reference number: CARE-C_ARS_ 20_13